The perfect carb!
Who doesn’t love a great spoonful of rice! Growing up my family always enjoyed rice and beans as a side dish, and fought over who would get the last bit of crunchy rice or “Conćon”. Although thats not the type of rice we are cooking today, let me know if you want to learn how to make rice with that delicious crunchy bottom layer! Today all you will need is Basmati rice, zest of a lime, cilantro, juice of lemon, and salt! The lemon juice enhances the flavor and also makes the rice a more vibrant white. Makes 2-3 servings to enjoy. My preferred way to cook rice is one cup rice to one and half cups of “Cold” water. Make sure you get a medium sized pot (yes, size does matter) , and not matter what happens, do not open that lid!
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- Zest of 1 Lime
- 1 Lemon
- 1/2 cup chopped Cilantro
- 1 Tbsp Salt & Pepper
- Rinse rice in water to remove the starch and drain completely in a fine colander. One drained transfer to your medium saucepan and add your salt, pepper, lime zest, and juice of a lemon.
- Place saucepan on the heat and quickly bring to a rapid boil.
- Once the pot is boiling , cover with a lid and turn down the heat to a simmer and leave rice to cook for 10-12 minutes
- Remove rice from the heat and allow to rest for about 5 minutes. Afterwards use a fork to fluff the rice by making short upward strokes to fluff up the rice to get the desired texture.
- After fluffing the rice, add your chopped cilantro and salt to taste and slowly mix together by folding rice with a pastry spatula or a slotted spoon. (Adding cilantro at this stage adds a freshness and keeps cilantro from going bland).
- Once mixed, serve immediately and enjoy alone or with your favorite protein!