I love bringing people together!
Welcome to the twilight zone! An area of the culinary internet realm where things are not as they seem. Where fusion of favorites collide and bring about a delicious monster of chicken and waffles. One bite, no forks, and layered with cinnamon sugar and wam syrup falling into the waffle squares and chicken openings. To cook our wings we are using a Ninja Airfryer, to get that ultimate crispy skin without all the grease and a waffle iron to merge these two longtime edible friends.
- 5 Chicken Drum Sticks
- 3 Tbsp Flour
- 2 Tbsp Mustard Powder
- 2 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
- Pinch Salt & Pepper
- 3 Cups Pickle Juice
- 3 Cups Buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Standard waffle mix or home recipe
- Cinnamon Sugar
- Hot Syrup
- Place your chicken drums in a large bowl and pour in the buttermilk and the pickle juice. If your dish doesn’t not allow mixture to cover the chicken, add equal parts buttermilk and pickle juice until covered, leave in bowl for 25-30 min.
- *Pro Tip* Use a sharp knife and cut away the bottom handle of your drums. This will help your chicken cook evenly and have a lollipop effect when finished cooking.
- Once the chicken has been sitting for 30 minutes, take it our and use paper towels to pat the drums dry. Making sure not to disturb the chicken skin.
- Preheat your air-fryer to 390 degrees
- Season your chicken with you smoked paprika, mustard powder, flour, salt and pepper. Mix together well making sure your chicken is evenly coated and all pieces have your rub mix on them.
- Once you have coated your wings, and your airfryer has been preheated, place your wings in the air-fryer basket and leave to cook for 19-22 minutes turning halfway through.
- When your wings come out they should be crispy enough to hear the crunch from a piece of chicken skin.
- While your chicken is cooling, prepare your waffle mix. Once your mix is prepared set tot he side while you pre the chicken.
- Take a chicken drum, place it on the waffle maker and press down until it is nicely flattened and has waffle marks. Once the chicken is pressed down to the desired flatness let sit for a couple minutes
- Now, pour a very small amount of your waffle mix at the bottom of your waffle maker, place the flattened chicken drum on top, and pour another small amount of waffle mix on top of your chicken and press down with the waffle maker.
- Hold the waffle maker down for about 2-3 minutes (may vary depending on your waffle iron)
- Once your chicken and waffle have a nice golden color and are combined, allow to crispy and cool for about 60 seconds ( I know that was a long time for me also).
- Add your cinnamon sugar and warm syrup, serve immediately!